February 4, 2016
These bread rolls are beautifully fluffy and would be great accompanying curry - and they're lovely on their own too!
Recipe adapted from: Mellow n spicy
Ingredients (9 rolls - 20 cm (8 inch) square baking tin)
187mL (3/4 cup) milk
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (one sachet)
2 tbsp white sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp milk powder
4 tbsp butter (softened)
1. Microwave the milk until lukewarm.
2. Mix the yeast and sugar with the milk and let it sit until the mixture becomes frothy.
3. Add the flour, salt and milk powder to the yeast mixture and mix until a sticky dough forms.
4. Add the butter to the dough and knead until a smooth dough is formed. I used my stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, but you could always use your hands.
5. Lightly grease a bowl with oil or butter and place the dough inside, cover it with a clean tea towel or cling wrap. Let it rise for about an hour, or until roughly doubled in size
6. Line a 20cm (9 inch) baking tin with baking paper, and punch the dough down - knead it for a few minutes.
7. Divide the dough into nine portions and roll each into a ball.
8. Place the rolls evenly into the baking tin. Cover with cling wrap or a tea towel and let rise for about 30 minutes, until roughly doubled in size.
9. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 175C (350F).
10. Bake the rolls for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
11. Let the rolls rest for a few minutes then you can either cool them completely or enjoy them warm!