Unfortunately, I love Nutella. I've got a whole pile of recipes that use the delicious hazelnut-chocolate spread stashed away, begging to be baked, but I have been unable to answer their pleas.
Mum was browsing through Foodgawker, came across a promising recipe and learnt of World Nutella Day. When she told me about it, I asked when it was.
"The 5th of Feb," she said. I looked at my diary. OMG IT'S TODAY. Abandoning my plan to watch The Parent Trap on TV, I rushed to the supermarket to buy Nutella with Mum's blessing.
Here's what I made: chewy hazelnut chocolate blondies. Nutella Blondies for short. With some suggestions from Mum, I made my first major adjustments to a recipe and I am pleased to say that these blondies came out amazingly. Chewy, dense, hazelnutty, chocolatey, slightly crunchy and (most importantly) covered in Nutella. Oh yes.
Ingredients (21 x 31 cm (8 x 12 inch) brownie tin)
100g hazelnut meal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter or salted margarine)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (it shouldn't matter if you don't add this)
170g brown sugar
230g white sugar
3 cups rolled oats
80g chocolate chips
For the topping:
Lots of Nutella. I didn't weigh it, I just piled it on and spread it. Yeah, I'm so precise, I know.
60g choc chips
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F. Line a 21 x 31 cm (8 x 12 inch) baking tin with baking paper.
2. Whisk together flour, hazelnut meal, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
10. Let cool in the pan then lift the blondies out to cool completely.
11. Now you need to prepare the topping. Using a food processor, process the chocolate chips (60g) until there are some in chunks and some completely grated 'dust'. Add the hazelnuts and process until the hazelnuts are in rough chunks. Don't process for too long!
14. Chop the big blondie bar into squares or rectangles or whatever shape you want, really. I chopped them into large squares but Mum sneakily made them into smaller rectangles when I wasn't looking.
Happy Nutella Day!